If you haven’t tried goat cheese, you are missing out! I have to admit, sometimes unconventional ingredients can be intimidating to cook with. My advice- try new things when you go to dinner parties or restaurants and then use it in a recipe in your own kitchen!
A dinner party of Angelo’s friends when we were stationed in San Antonio is actually what inspired this recipe. He had this amazing charcuterie board filled with breads, prosciutto, fruits, veggies, and goat cheese with cherries on top. It was my first time trying goat cheese. It is creamy and tart, and pairs well with many ingredients. The toasted, buttery bread and tomato bacon jam with fresh basil on top creates the perfect bite!
This is a great appetizer to show your fancier side at dinner parties.
Whipped goat cheese and tomato bacon jam tostinis
1 loaf Italian bread, sliced ½ inch thick and buttered
4 oz (1/2 cup) goat cheese
½ cup cream cheese
1 Tbsp corn starch
¼ cup sugar
½ cup water
1 Tbsp oil
5 slices bacon
2 Tbsp butter
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
½ tsp salt
½ tsp oregano
½ tsp chili powder
3 basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- Let goat cheese and cream cheese sit out for 30 minutes to soften.
- Broil buttered bread on high until browned (about 5 minutes). Set aside.
- Cream together goat cheese and cream cheese with mixer until fluffy. Set aside.
- In sauté pan, add oil over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy.
- Remove bacon and add butter to same pan. Once melted, add tomatoes and spices. Let tomatoes cook down, stirring frequently, about 8-10 minutes.
- Chop bacon and add to tomato mixture.
- Stir cornstarch mixture into tomato mixture.
- Spread goat cheese mixture onto tostini, then add tomato mixture. Top with fresh basil.
- Serve immediately.