Fresh fruit is one of my favorite things to eat and bake with.
One thing I remember doing often in the summer months when I was growing up in Iowa is going berry picking. Although it was hot, sticky work, it was so worth it to come home with ridiculous amounts of fruit. This recipe is my grandma’s from when we came home with so, so many fresh strawberries.
I’m so in love with this pie because it doesn’t require cooking the strawberries down (although that also sounds amazing). It leaves the berries in their natural state. The crust is simple, and not too sweet to let the strawberries be the star. When they are mounded high on this beautiful golden crust, they really shine.
Fresh Strawberry Pie
For the crust:
1 cup four
2 Tbsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Mix flour, sugar, and salt
- Add in melted butter and mix until well blended.
- Press into 9” pie pan, making sure you spread it all the way up sides of pan.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Let cool completely
For the filling:
1 cup water
2 Tbsp cornstarch
½ cup sugar
1 3oz box strawberry Jello
2 pts fresh strawberries, sliced
whipped cream (for topping)
- Whisk water, cornstarch and sugar in a medium sized pan until it comes to a full boil over medium high heat.
- Remove from heat. Add the strawberry Jello and mix thoroughly.
- While mixture is cooling, wash, thoroughly dry and slice strawberries.
- Put some Jello mixture on pie crust, then some sliced strawberries. Keep layering and end with Jello mixture.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours before serving.
- Top with whipped cream. Keep in refrigerator for up to 4 days.
*If you don’t like jello, swap it out for ½ cup juice (strawberry or strawberry blend)